Multicultural opportunities
The diverse campus environment lets you learn more about yourself, others, and the world around you in many unique ways.

Berkeley Study Abroad (BSA)
BSA is your campus resource center for study abroad, including the UC Education Abroad Program, Berkeley Summer Abroad, Berkeley Global Internships, and IARU Global Summer Program (; 160 Stephens Hall;; 510/642-1356)

UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) offers more than 250 study abroad programs in over 40 countries to UC undergraduate and graduate students, including summer, semester, and year-long options (

Berkeley Summer Abroad combines international travel with academic coursework in intensive summer programs led by UC Berkeley faculty and lecturers. Programs are four to six weeks in length with locations worldwide (

Berkeley Global Internships give you the opportunity to gain practical experience and academic credit over the summer with leading firms and organizations. Students participate in a domestic or international internship, and enroll in an online internship course (and local culture course for international locations) (

IARU Global Summer Program , sponsored by the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), offers intensive, residential summer courses on critical global issues at ten of the world's leading research universities (

International House (I-House)
Explore the world, only a few blocks from Sather Gate! I-House, a historic "living and learning" center with nearly 600 Cal student residents from over 60 countries (including the US), offers a broad selection of recreational, cultural, and educational programs for the entire community. Activities include international films, lectures, and trainings in navigating cultures. Attend cultural theme dinners in the dining hall on the second floor, sign up for language tables to practice your international languages, or sign up for fun trips throughout California. I-House programs feature Nobel Prize winners, faculty, diplomats, social entrepreneurs, heads of state, government officials, and civic leaders.

I-House members can participate in most activities for free. For more information, visit or call 510/642-9490).

I-House seeks a socioeconomically and internationally diverse population, and offers room and board scholarships to eligible students and scholars. Upper division and graduate international students (F1 or J1), US citizens, and permanent residents may apply (2299 Piedmont Avenue; US citizens and permanent residents, 510/643-5308; international students, 510/642-9468).

International and Area Studies
IAS degree programs provide an interdisciplinary approach to the study of international and global issues. Undergraduate students can select from among six majors (Asian Studies, Development Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies, and Political Economy) and five minors (Asian Studies, Global Poverty and Practice, Middle Eastern Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies, and Political Economy-European Studies). Graduate students can enroll in MA programs in Asian Studies, Latin American Studies, and International and Area Studies (; 101 Stephens Hall;; 510/642-4466).

Oxford Berkeley Program
UC Berkeley Extension's Oxford Berkeley Program welcomes intellectually curious adults to widen their horizons through a summer study abroad opportunity at the University of Oxford. For three weeks, participants attend seminars taught by Oxford dons, live at Merton College, and experience assorted field trips related to their studies (

The Recreational Sports Facility is an authorized US Government Passport Acceptance Facility. The office, located at the RSF membership area, is open to all US citizens and will accept passport applications on behalf of the US State Department. Avoid hassles and long lines at the post office! It's the only place in town open on the weekend, and they offer all the necessary forms, expedited service, and a friendly staff. Membership to the RSF is not required. In addition to the application service, passport photos may be taken for an additional charge (; 2301 Bancroft Way; 510/642-7796).

Berkeley’s main post office accepts applications for US passports. The passport is good for 10 years—if you're over 18 at the time of issue—and the application takes six weeks or less to process. You'll need to pay about $135 (passport fee of $110, plus a $25 acceptance fee), and bring your birth certificate, California Driver's License or state ID, and two passport photos (or you can have passport photos taken for an extra fee). The passport office is open M-F, 9am-3:30pm (2000 Allston Way; 800/275-8777). You can download the application at the State Department's website (

Peace Corps
The Peace Corps is an international volunteer service agency, now celebrating 53 years of promoting world peace and friendship. Since its inception in 1961, the Peace Corps has inspired more than 3500 Cal students to serve around the world, working in education, health, environment, community economic development, youth in development, and agriculture. Currently, there are 66 Cal alumni serving in 33 countries. Volunteers can serve as English teachers, plant a school garden, start an after-school program, provide guidance to merchant businesses, and more. They serve for 27 months and receive living stipends and possible student loan deferment, or even partial loan cancellation (; Career Center, third floor;; 510/452-8451).